Introduction: Many schools will have a three day weekend with Memorial Day coming up so there is plenty of free time on your hands! Making your own bubbles is always fun especially when they are made with science so lets get started!
- Baby shampoo
- Package of unflavored gelatin (ex. Knox brand)
- Corn syrup
- Shallow baking dishes
- Bubble-blowing materials, such as drinking straws, funnels, wire hangers etc.
- Food coloring (optional)
- There are four different types of bubbles to make! You can make regular, bouncy, thick, and colorful bubbles.
- Regular all purpose bubbles- Begin by gently mixing one cup water to one cup baby shampoo with 1 tablespoon of sugar, and let the solution stand for a few hours. This solution is great for most bubble tricks, activities, and experiments.
- Bouncy Jello Bubbles- Start by dissolving on package of unflavored gelatin into one cup of hot water (just boiled). Then add 1.5-2 ounces of glycerin, and 8.5 ounces of baby shampoo. Stir gently, the solution will turn to gel as it cools. Reheat it carefully in the microwave for about two minutes. The bubbles made from this will bounce off your clothes!
- Thick Bubbles- First mix 3 parts baby shampoo to one part water. When you make bubbles with this solution try to make a bubble inside of a bubble!
- Colorful bubbles- All you have to do to get colored bubbles is mix 1 drop of your choice of food coloring with the regular all purpose bubble solution. (Be careful they will stain you hands and clothes!)
- You can make your own bubble wands using by using pipe cleaners and shaping them however you want or you can cut up an old metal hanger and shape it too!
Have fun and enjoy the bubbles!
Here are some other cool experiments and crafts to check out!